With all of the terror, violence, greed, exploitation, pollution, and annihilation wreaking havoc in our world, it’s no wonder that most of us feel minuscule and completely powerless in the face of such horror. How can WE as singular, average, and commonplace women possibly start a revolution? How can we possibly live our lives full-well knowing that we are doing our very best and benefiting the world in the largest way possible?
Well I’m here to let you know that if you have The Passion and The Willpower then you are a natural-born revolutionary and a trail-blazer. Below is a story of a woman who single handedly made a serious conscious effort to develop empathy for others.This story is a Heroic example of Women and Girl Empowerment. It is a narration of a selfless Strong Independent woman impacting lives.
Diana Chitsaka Mwangala is an ordinary woman from Kenya in a small village called Ziani Kilifi. She works as a Nurse in a Dispensary. It is in this place where she noticed challenges adolescent girls in the neighboring primary schools were facing. These challenges were majorly ;
1) Incapability to maintain menstrual hygiene
2) Increased Teenage Pregnancies
3) Increased spread of Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
She saw the need of supporting these young girls , the necessity of equipping these girls with knowledge and the responsibility of empowering them for a better future without being young mothers. Diana’s empathy for other people, her passion and her Willpower made her create a community based organization called Gift A Girl Initiative.
Gift A Girl Initiative began its official service of girl child empowerment on September 2017 as a community based organization under the Ministry of Public Services, Youth and Gender . It Covers the entire Kilifi county which consists of 7 administrative regions (Magarini, Rabai, Kilifi North and South , Kaloleni, Malindi and Ganze).
The Vision is to empower young girls so as to experience their fullest potential with no limitations. Their mission is to strategically place young girls in a position where they can articulate their individual potential in society.
The goal of this organization is
1) Empowering school going girls through provision of free sanitary towels
2) Guidance and counseling of Girls on teenage Pregnancies
3) Creating awareness on HIV/AIDS and other Sexually transmitted diseases.
4) Educating and empowering girls on menstrual hygiene.
To achieve there goals and objectives they visit schools within Kalifi county to educate, motivate, create awareness and interact with young girls on the challenges they face and see how best the Initiative can support the sustainability of the girl child.
Over the years the Initiative notably were successful in achieving their goals,
1) Improved menstrual hygiene amongst adolescent girls
2) Increased HIV/AIDS and STI awareness
3) Improved social discipline amongst girls
4) Increased school retention of school going girls
5) Improved academic performance of girls
6) Progressive reduction of teenage Pregnancies.
Like any other Dream which has been made a reality , there are challenges which the Initiative faces. These challenges include ;
1. Lack of adequate funding to finance GGCI operations
2. Inconsistent support from donors and well wishers.
3. Local leadership/populace acceptance of GGCI vision/activities.
4. Mobility challenges (lack of own transport means) while carrying out its core functions in the field (school visitation)
5. Lack of office premise, staff and adequate/ideal teaching aids due to limited financial capability.
6. Legal support/ representation for sexually/physically violated school going girls (adolescent girls).
These challenges do not stop them or sway them there are a mere distraction which require a simple Fix with the right Organizations and right people who can help. Diana had a dream, turned it into a Reality capable of Changing the World by Touching Young Girls Lives in Kenya through Empowerment, Education and Motivation.
Today African Soul Sisters celebrates Diana Chitsaka Mwangala for being A woman with a voice. A woman with a voice is by definition, a strong woman. Fill your life with women that empower you, that help you believe in your magic and aid them to believe in their own exceptional power and their incredible magic too. Women that believe in each other can survive anything. Women who believe in each other create armies that will win kingdoms and wars.
African Soul Sisters is a company which empowers women .We believe that when ambitious professional women get more opportunity it ultimately benefits everyone, and leads to a more equal world. We’re committed to giving these ambitious professional women the community they need to take the next step in their careers — whatever that means to each of them.